Monday, June 9, 2014

Art 1 Final Portfolio

This is a redone animal that I had to make up around the beginning of the year, I had created the "Mikano rat", the one on the left is the before picture, and the one on the right is the redone picture. As I was in this class I had learned more about dimension and shading. On the left, it shows that the picture is very one-dimensional and flat, with very plain design, on the right it has more dimension and shading which makes it pop out more.My skills had definently gotten better with this class by looking at how different the two works are. I had been drawing outside of art as well which has helped my skill and especially with detail.

 A media that I had a lot of fun with this semester was Oil pastels. I really liked it because you could blend it so well and it felt very smooth, almost like crayon, The works ive created with oil pastels is the work "condemned to the ground" which is above. I really like the techniques and burnishing, and if I make an error then I could cover it up by adding more layers because oil pastel are so opaque. And in the background I used the "Scumbling" technique which gave it a very unique texture, and how it really stands up on its oil. Oil pastel were very nice to use.

. My most successful project, in my opinion, was my Identity Project. The project is supposed to be what goes on in my mind most of the time when i'm daydreaming, or dreaming in general. The media I had used was markers and pens which is my favorite media. I picked this project as my most successful because it shows most of my skill, especially with  colouring and style. It has the most characters and took me the longest time to do. I am very proud of this work and it is just so important to me. Its a very big picture, almost a poster, and having something represent me(my mind) means a lot.

A project where I had the most obstacles was the stamp project. I have a lot of trouble understanding and doing this project, mostly because in my mind it was very complicated. I wasn't very used to a media where I had to form and carve something 3 dimensional, and it was coming out very sloppy. Most of the problems came with the coloring and stamping, I had no understanding of how to color it correctly, and when I had stamped everything on yellow paper, I had to cut that out and glue it to blue paper. Eventually I had gotten the final project out.

 The way I challenged myself to be a better artist was with trying something other than my usual style, I've attempted to try realism multiple times and it didn't always work out because the style would always come out someway cartoonish. But I've decided to mix it up with cartoon style so it's kind of halfway. I had challenged myself to try a new style, the picture above is my first attempt at realism which was "OK" at best. I will definently work on that in the future. :)
 This was the summary of my semester.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Blog Post 5


This picture is a big mish mosh of my mind, also  known as the "Identity Project". I had to do something that was about me, in this work, i have me(bottom left corner) and to my left, there is an explosion of characters and color that expresses what I imagine in my mind. The way my own ideas are in this work is that all of the characters and character designs to the right are all people that I have made up and either wrote/imagined of. This shows how the artwork is about me in the way that its showing my story characters and how my imagination works, bright and colorful. It shows my love for "Japanese Anime" and all of the stories I have imagined. The challenges were that my markers that I used kept on drying on me, and they were expensive markers, so I started to use crayola markers and colored pencils. I used to have a big word at the bottom but it didn't fit very well, so I came up with the idea to cover it in tissue paper. This artwork, titled "Think", is most likely one of my favorites. Mostly because it shows who I am.

In this project, which I like to call the Make a stamp project", is basically carving and making a stamp. I learned how to carve a specific materical to make a stamp-like object, and I could use different paints and colors to stamp it on paper. I've always been fascinated with skulls, especially punk-skulls, so that's where my inspiration came from. I wanted to make it my own so I gave it a twist and used two colors that are usually very girly together, pink and yellow, and made them look like a danger/punk style. I admit that I at first had a bunch of trouble understanding how the process worked, especially with the coloring. Those were my complications and bumps in the road. This piece is called "Danger stamps".

This artwork is my second favorite, for a "change" project. I had to express change for this assignment and I had gotten this idea. It is intended to show how dramatic events can change one's life drastically, using a future Olympic runner and putting him into a supposed "car accident". On the left is the man, all happy and training for a marathon in his jogging gear, on the right is the man after his hinted car accident(look at the frame on the wall). I normally do tragic things that make people sad. I know, I am a horrible person, but I enjoy expressing those feelings that people sometimes need to do. How I put myself into this is the thing I feel most proud about, the sad elements in my stories. I have had a bunch of help from my friends, when the teacher announced the change project, my friend knew what I was thinking anf said it aloud. "death" , yes I know, drastic, but I really was thinking that, and then later my friend said "Maybe you shouldn't do death, but almost." That's how I got my idea, they had given me the idea to not go with the usuual(Death) and try something different. This artwork is called "Big change"