Monday, June 9, 2014

Art 1 Final Portfolio


This is a redone animal that I had to make up around the beginning of the year, I had created the "Mikano rat", the one on the left is the before picture, and the one on the right is the redone picture. As I was in this class I had learned more about dimension and shading. On the left, it shows that the picture is very one-dimensional and flat, with very plain design, on the right it has more dimension and shading which makes it pop out more.My skills had definently gotten better with this class by looking at how different the two works are. I had been drawing outside of art as well which has helped my skill and especially with detail.

 A media that I had a lot of fun with this semester was Oil pastels. I really liked it because you could blend it so well and it felt very smooth, almost like crayon, The works ive created with oil pastels is the work "condemned to the ground" which is above. I really like the techniques and burnishing, and if I make an error then I could cover it up by adding more layers because oil pastel are so opaque. And in the background I used the "Scumbling" technique which gave it a very unique texture, and how it really stands up on its oil. Oil pastel were very nice to use.




. My most successful project, in my opinion, was my Identity Project. The project is supposed to be what goes on in my mind most of the time when i'm daydreaming, or dreaming in general. The media I had used was markers and pens which is my favorite media. I picked this project as my most successful because it shows most of my skill, especially with  colouring and style. It has the most characters and took me the longest time to do. I am very proud of this work and it is just so important to me. Its a very big picture, almost a poster, and having something represent me(my mind) means a lot.



A project where I had the most obstacles was the stamp project. I have a lot of trouble understanding and doing this project, mostly because in my mind it was very complicated. I wasn't very used to a media where I had to form and carve something 3 dimensional, and it was coming out very sloppy. Most of the problems came with the coloring and stamping, I had no understanding of how to color it correctly, and when I had stamped everything on yellow paper, I had to cut that out and glue it to blue paper. Eventually I had gotten the final project out.




 The way I challenged myself to be a better artist was with trying something other than my usual style, I've attempted to try realism multiple times and it didn't always work out because the style would always come out someway cartoonish. But I've decided to mix it up with cartoon style so it's kind of halfway. I had challenged myself to try a new style, the picture above is my first attempt at realism which was "OK" at best. I will definently work on that in the future. :)
 This was the summary of my semester.




1 comment: